Common New Agent Mistakes
- Selecting a brokerage
- Realtor Toolbox
Becoming a new agent is exciting. A career in real estate is a great option for many people. Flexibility and the freedom to set your own pace, the knowledge that your income has no limits and is directly related to your efforts! The most successful people in real estate are those that are disciplined, goal-oriented, ambitious, self-motivated and those that like to help other people. The rewards that come from a career in real estate are limitless!
So, why do some succeed when others fail? Preparation and planning! It is that simple. Before making the decision to become a Realtor® there are several steps that a lot of people skip and these are the top mistakes new agents make. These include:
- Selecting the wrong real estate company. Not all real estate companies are created equal. Potential agents should check such things as the training offered, the cost of doing business at that company, who the leadership is at the office and what is offered to new agents.
- Jumping in without a plan. Many new agents think that they can take a class, get a license and start cashing checks. To be successful in real estate, you need a business plan. If you don’t have one or don’t know where to begin, the office should provide business planning tools and include you in a business planning clinic so you have a road map of what you want to accomplish and how to do it!
- Forgetting about your toolbox. Every agent needs a toolbox filled with necessities like Multiple Listing Service (MLS) access, a cell phone, a computer, a website, social media portals, business cards, a reliable car…the list goes on. With the help of agent services at your office, you will be prepared on your very first day as an agent.
- Not enough funding. Doing research to find out how much you need to start your real estate career is essential. Too many new agents join companies without even enough funding set aside to pay for the lockbox key needed to access the properties.
- Downplaying the importance of training. When you first start off as a Realtor® and you are working on building your business, you have plenty of time to take advantage of all the agent training offered by the Board and your office. Take advantage of everything offered!
If you are interested in the New Agent Top Mistakes eBook, click the link and we will email it to you immediately.
Contact us today and let us help you get your real estate career off the the right start.